Updated 21 September 2020
AUCKLAND will move to level 2 from 11.59pm on Wednesday 23 September
REST OF THE COUNTRY will move to level 1 at 11.59pm tonight Monday 21 September
Funerals and tangihanga will need to follow the guidelines set out below:
AUCKLAND REGION ALERT LEVEL 2
Alert level 2 requirements for the Auckland region (Auckland Council from Wellsford in the north to Pukekohe in the south) from Thursday 24 September, which means:
- You can now have gatherings of up to 100 people at a time for funerals and tangihanga
- There is NO need to register with the Ministry of Health to hold one
- Physical distancing and infection prevention control requirements must be met
- All gatherings must record attendees to ensure contact tracing can be conducted if necessary. Registers to be kept for 2 months.
- There are NO travel restrictions
- Food & drink are permitted with NO restrictions
- NO participants allowed who have COVID-19 symptoms or who need to be in isolation/quarantine for any reason
REST OF THE COUNTRY ALERT LEVEL 1
Alert level 1 requirements for the rest of the country from Tuesday 22 September:
- There is NO limit on the number of people who can attend a funeral or tangihanga.
Please contact your local FDANZ Funeral Director who will be able to assist you with the planning and preparation of a funeral or tangihanga.
Useful COVID-19 Grief Resources
COVID-19 Grief Resource - When no funeral, tangi or farewell gatherings can take place
Funeral Directors Association NZ
Getting through Together
Mental Health Foundation NZ
There are many organisations that offer help and support for grief and trauma ranging from resources, counselling and support groups. Read more here